¿Cómo Estás? Charades: Active Spanish Games for Children
Learning how to express your feelings is essential in order to connect with a language. It is easy for students to fall into the rut of always answering, “I’m good. (Yo estoy bien,)” but what are other emotions they can express?
Classroom Game: ¿Cómo Estás?
The Calico Spanish Flashcards come with 9 phrases for expressing emotions. Each flashcard includes a picture that accurately represents the feeling in question.
I like to play this game with my students during our 15-minute block in the gymnasium or outside where we have some space to move around, but you can also make it work in your regular classroom.
- Lay the pile of emotion flash cards face down on the floor.
- Put some distance between the class and the pile of cards.
- Line up single file.
- Together as a class, ask, “¿Cómo estás?”
- The student at the front of the line runs to the pile and chooses the top card. He/she then has to act out the emotion.
- The students in line guess which emotion is being acted out.
- When the correct answer is guessed, the actor returns the card to the teacher and then runs back to the end of the line.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 until you have gone through the entire stack. Repeat as many times as you wish.
If you are up to it, you can make this more of a competitive game by having two teams and keeping score of which team guesses correctly. It’s a guarantee that students will shout doing it this way, but they will be shouting in Spanish!