Start learning Spanish in 3 easy steps...
Sign-up for your free account.
Instant access with just your email address. No credit card required.
Join in the stories, music, and play.
We’ve created a step-by-step program for you to follow on your own schedule.
Listen to your learners speaking Spanish
Children will learn and retain Spanish for life in a safe, low-stress environment.
Learning Spanish is a lifelong journey.
If only there was a map. And a tour guide would be nice too!
Enter Calico Spanish!
- We provide the step-by-step pathway so kids truly learn to speak real Spanish.
- We prepare kids to talk to real people … in real life … in Spanish.
- With our acquisition-friendly Stories, kids will remember and be ready to use what they learn.
Try a free lesson and hear kids speaking Spanish. Immediately. For life.
Homeschool families learn for less than
25 cents per day!
Make learning fun
The Calico Spanish characters engage children in the ways they learn best; stories, songs, and play.
Lesson vocabularly is introduced in small chunks throughout the lessons, so it’s easy to remember.
Our videos show the characters speaking Spanish, encouraging young learners to try the phrases out, too!
An easy to follow curriculum with daily goals that allow you to track progress.
Put it into practice
We encourage children to use real Spanish with activities and games!
They'll love to sing it...
...and love to speak it! Our Music Videos work alongside the lessons to help aid comprehension.
Our Culture Capsules introduce children to the Spanish-speaking cultures.
Work through the daily lesson plans with all the material at the click of a mouse, whenever you need it.
Try a free lesson and hear your kids speaking Spanish.
Immediately. For Life.
What will they learn?
By the end of Level A, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can describe something as blue or yellow.
- I can identify a monkey or a fish.
- I can identify the number of objects in a group up to three.
- I can begin to identify the days of the week.
- I can describe the size of something as big or small.
- I can greet someone, answer basic questions, and give information about myself, including:
- my name
- my age
- how I am doing
- what I am like and
- what I like to do.
By the end of Level B, in addition to everything they learned in Level A, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can begin to talk about the months of the year.
- I can describe the color of something as brown, black, or white.
- I can talk about the number of objects in a group, up to six.
- I can identify a dog, cat, or rabbit.
- I can tell someone, “I love you.”
- I can ask and answer the question “How many?”
- I can ask simple questions to discover what people like.
- I can talk about my pets.
- I can react to something I think is cool.
- I can answer basic questions and give information about my family, including:
- family words
- what people are like
- what others like to do
By the end of Level C, in addition to everything they learned in Level A and Level B, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can welcome someone to my house.
- I can describe the color of something green, gray, or red.
- I can identify a frog or a mouse.
- I can politely ask for something to eat or drink.
- I can talk about whether I want or need something.
- I can say that I’m hungry or thirsty.
- I can mention some foods and drinks I like or don’t like.
- I can talk about how I feel.
- I can mention something someone has to do.
- I can say whether I want or don’t want to do something.
- I can mention some things that people do during the day.
- I can categorize something as a person, place, or thing.
- I can answer questions and give information about my home and routine, including:
- making references to time (what time of day it is, what time it is, at what time I do something, that it is time to do something)
- describing what my house is like
- talking about some foods and drinks I like or don’t like
- telling how I feel
- expressing that I need, want, or have to do something related to my daily activities
- talking about my daily activities
- describing where an object is located
By the end of Level D, in addition to everything they learned in Levels A-C, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can count objects up to one hundred.
- I can use debes to suggest to someone what they should do.
- I can map the monarch butterfly migration.
- I can say whether something is close or far, north or south, left or right.
- I can say that I go, stay at, and return to a place.
- I can talk about farm animals and the sounds they make.
- I can use phrases including vocabulary for parts of the body to tell someone how I feel and if something hurts.
- I can use some frequency words and phrases to tell someone how often something happens.
- I can talk about what I eat for different meals.
- I can use connecting words to put a story in order.
- I can answer questions and give information about activities outside in various types of weather:
- describing the weather
- talking about the seasons
- talking about what someone is going to do
- talking about what clothes I need for particular weather
About Calico Spanish
Calico Spanish was founded in 2007, from a need to find a quality language learning program for use in the classroom and homeschool environments. Our curriculum was developed by a nationally recognized world languages specialist with over 20 years' experience working with language learners.
Children are natural language learners, but they need appropriate lessons designed specifically to engage young learners, hold their interest, and truly teach them Spanish. At Calico Spanish, we design everything for children to learn Spanish starting immediately and retain their Spanish skills for life.
Stories and music have been a means of learning for millenia. So we thought, why not use those same amazingly effective tools in the modern day? Have fun with our stories and music and learn Spanish at the same time. Easy lessons. Daily, bite-sized Spanish learning. So fun. So effective. And most of all, so very exciting when you hear your children speaking Spanish.
Still have questions?
Need help with one of our features, want to know how to upgrade your membership or just looking for more information on our online program? Take a look through our questions and answers below.
Great news - Calico Spanish accepts purchase orders from charter schools on behalf of homeschool families! These orders are priced at $109/family. See our homeschool pricing page (Other ways to pay) for more information.
Sorry, your discounted homeschool subscription is only for your household. Using your subscription to teach children outside your family violates our terms of service. However, we offer a great homeschool co-op package that gives your co-op families their own access as you (or someone else) teaches through the program. Just contact us for details.
The Stories videos include captions and lyrics of all Spanish to promote literacy and comprehension, but reading isn't required for children to succeed with our program. We recommend reading our blog post, Adapting Worksheets for Preliterate Children.
In Level A, lesson plans take about 15-20 minutes to complete. Levels C and D include lesson plans that may take 45 minutes or more. In general, we suggest doing 3 lesson plans a week, and that pace will take your learners through about a level a year. Levels C and D will take many groups a year and a half each to complete.
Levels are about where kids are with their language skills, so all beginners (regardless of grade) should start with Level A. You have access to all levels all the time, so if you are teaching children with some Spanish skills already under their belt, start at a later level.
With your subscription, you get unlimited access to all of the Level A, Level B, Level C, and Level D teaching resources. You can explore everything during your Free Trial.
30+ Music Videos
24 Dialogue Videos
15 Storybooks in a video, read-aloud format
Online learning games
You'll also have access to printable copies of:
With a Full Access subscription, you are able to view online (and/or download and print) a set of flashcards from each level of the program.
Level A has 80 flashcards
Level B has 101 flashcards
Level C has 166 flashcards
Level D has 197 flashcards
The flashcards include single words, as well as phrases and concepts. The front side has an original image and word in Spanish. The backside has the English translation.
If you prefer, you can purchase full-color, UV-coated flashcards (sized 4in x 4in) with our Visual Packs.
Each level includes six posters. You can view, download and print posters on demand with your paid subscription. Alternatively, you can purchase full-color, UV-coated poster sets (sized 11 in x 17 in) with our Visual Packs.
Each Level has three or four accompanying Storybooks. The Storybooks supplement the Video Stories.
Your subscription to Stories includes videos of the Storybooks being read aloud by a native speaker.
Level A - I Am Special (3 Storybooks)
Level B - I Love My Family (4 Storybooks)
Level C - I Live Here (4 Storybooks)
Level D - Welcome to the Farm (4 Storybooks)
You can purchase full-color, soft-cover Storybooks with our Visual Packs.
Stories includes a variety of printable Student Activities. Your subscription allows you to view and print copies of the Student Activities as well as dialogues, song lyrics, posters, and flash cards.
During your Free Trial, you are only allowed to download a select number of our printable PDFs.