Benefits of Being Bilingual
Learning a second language at an early age has many, many benefits including:
- Having a positive effect on intellectual growth.
- Enriching and enhancing a child’s mental development.
- Giving students more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improving a child’s understanding of his/her native language.
- Giving a child the ability to communicate with people s/he would otherwise not have the chance to know.
- Opening the door to other cultures and helping a child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Giving a student a head start in language requirements for college.
- Increasing job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.
Reprinted with permission from the Center for Applied Linguistics.