You can teach kids to speak real Spanish to real people. For a lifetime.
Get started today with
Calico Spanish Stories.
Four ways schools use Calico Spanish Stories
The perfect choice for your classroom Spanish curriculum.
Comprehensive curriculum for non-Spanish speaking teachers
Extensive supplement to your current Spanish curriculum
Total learning support for Spanish language specialists
Resource gold mine for dual immersion teachers & parents
Calico Spanish Stories helps young learners say hola to bilingualism.
Easy-to-understand Video Stories full of engaging, comprehensible, real-world Spanish
Activity sheets and dialogues to help children use real language from the beginning
Colorful flashcards, posters, and storybooks for variety in course content
Clear directions for students and teachers on every part of every lesson
Fun, energetic music videos to get kids moving and singing in Spanish
Training and support available throughout your Spanish journey from our experienced team
We do all the lesson prep, so you can focus on what you do best - teaching!
Purchase your Stories digital curriculum subscription and access everything you need to teach for one low price. Optional printed copies of select materials are available. Download the Stories curriculum guide now to see our Scope & Sequence, samples of all lesson elements, FAQ answers, purchasing information, and ACFTL standards alignment.
What will they learn?
By the end of Level A, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can describe something as blue or yellow.
- I can identify a monkey or a fish.
- I can identify the number of objects in a group up to three.
- I can begin to identify the days of the week.
- I can describe the size of something as big or small.
- I can greet someone, answer basic questions, and give information about myself, including:
- my name
- my age
- how I am doing
- what I am like and
- what I like to do.
By the end of Level B, in addition to everything they learned in Level A, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can begin to talk about the months of the year.
- I can describe the color of something as brown, black, or white.
- I can talk about the number of objects in a group, up to six.
- I can identify a dog, cat, or rabbit.
- I can tell someone, “I love you.”
- I can ask and answer the question “How many?”
- I can ask simple questions to discover what people like.
- I can talk about my pets.
- I can react to something I think is cool.
- I can answer basic questions and give information about my family, including:
- family words
- what people are like
- what others like to do
By the end of Level C, in addition to everything they learned in Level A and Level B, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can welcome someone to my house.
- I can describe the color of something green, gray, or red.
- I can identify a frog or a mouse.
- I can politely ask for something to eat or drink.
- I can talk about whether I want or need something.
- I can say that I’m hungry or thirsty.
- I can mention some foods and drinks I like or don’t like.
- I can talk about how I feel.
- I can mention something someone has to do.
- I can say whether I want or don’t want to do something.
- I can mention some things that people do during the day.
- I can categorize something as a person, place, or thing.
- I can answer questions and give information about my home and routine, including:
- making references to time (what time of day it is, what time it is, at what time I do something, that it is time to do something)
- describing what my house is like
- talking about some foods and drinks I like or don’t like
- telling how I feel
- expressing that I need, want, or have to do something related to my daily activities
- talking about my daily activities
- describing where an object is located
By the end of Level D, in addition to everything they learned in Levels A-C, children will be able to complete the following tasks in Spanish:
- I can count objects up to one hundred.
- I can use debes to suggest to someone what they should do.
- I can map the monarch butterfly migration.
- I can say whether something is close or far, north or south, left or right.
- I can say that I go, stay at, and return to a place.
- I can talk about farm animals and the sounds they make.
- I can use phrases including vocabulary for parts of the body to tell someone how I feel and if something hurts.
- I can use some frequency words and phrases to tell someone how often something happens.
- I can talk about what I eat for different meals.
- I can use connecting words to put a story in order.
- I can answer questions and give information about activities outside in various types of weather:
- describing the weather
- talking about the seasons
- talking about what someone is going to do
- talking about what clothes I need for particular weather
Our great packages make it easy to start teaching.
Get an all inclusive, ready-to-teach subscription to our digitial curriculum, or supplement your subscription with a package of our great printed teaching tools!
Digital subscription with full access to all levels - You choose your subscription length!
Pre-planned lesson plans.
Access to all digital resources needed to teach including music and videos.
Printable posters, flash cards, student activity sheets, transcripts, song lyrics and more!
Discounts for multiple teachers per school!
Perfect if you already have a subscription.
24 x 11 x 17” easily wipeable posters.
15 x full color storybooks.
549 x full color 4 x 4” flash cards.
4 x Teacher’s Guide (1 book per level)
4 x Student Activity Books with reproducible activities (1 book per level)
Your Calico Spanish Stories subscription comes with digital, printable copies of all resources.
Our packs are the best value way to get optional hard copies of the digital resources.
If you are a teacher who already has a subscription and would like to supplement your teaching with level specfic hard copy resources, please visit our store, or if you cannot find a pack which suits you, we’d be happy to put one together for you, please email us at [email protected]
Make sure your curriculum choice meets national standards.
You can be sure Stories meets every standard set by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Click below to see how.